Monday, March 23, 2009

Training Week 6 - 26 Miles and Chris


LOOK!!!! LOOK!!! Flowers!!!!!!

Spring is here - even if it did snow yesterday. Thankfully I was home from my walk by the time it started. I was actually on the phone with my DSis when we discovered the swirl of snowflakes falling from a mostly blue and sunny sky. You Gotta Love New England!!


I spied this clump of flowers on my Sunday walk along Farm Road. I was walking alone. DH had a previous engagement (see the picture at the bottom of this post). This weekend's walks consisted of a 6 mile route to my DP's with a pit stop, then 2.25 miles home, a 2nd pit stop, and then a 5 mile loop for a total of 13 on Saturday. Sunday was a merger of 2 loops I have done before to total 7 miles. The weather was cold, back to long underwear, but the sun was shining.


Saturday's first route was new to me and I unwittingly included a hill that is steeper than Brimsmead Rd (see my previous post for a picture)! As I was struggling to make my way up this nose bleeder, I had thoughts of my friend Chris from PA. She is walking in DC with us and is a cancer survivor who very recently was given a good bill of health. It is funny, I have yet to meet Chris face to face, but we talk almost daily through our cooking group and I feel as though she is a dear friend to me. As I was struggling with myself to climb this hill, I had Chris with me, walking next to me, encouraging me every step of the way. I could hear her voice, see her smile, and feel her presence. I thought to myself, if Chris can beat this illness with a great attitude, grace, and sense of humor, then I can climb this crazy hill without whining. Thank you Chris for pushing me along!


DH's prior engagement..........

He is a cutey though isn't he?

No comments: